Monday, January 10, 2011

Heads I...tails I...

I was listening to a great radio spot with Alan Cohen a week or so ago, and thought I'd share some of his wisdom.

It's really simple - but Nathan & I have both had a lot of fun with it.


Essentially when you have a decision to make - drill it down to two things, then flip a coin on it!

Before you flip, you make the decision to follow whatever comes up and then as he pointed out - the most important part is to watch your reaction in the 3 seconds after you see the result.

If it's relief or joy - you're on the right path. Tension or any other icky feeling, not so much.

I've been carrying a coin in my pocket these last couple of weeks and it works a treat!

I can be a little be indecisive at times - particularly when I'm trying to listen in to my intuition and my head's getting in the way saying 'kick it to me, kick it to me'!!!

So it's been so interesting to say right 'heads I...and tails I...' and go with it.

I think there's probably only been 1 time the result truly didn't feel right. So I went with the opposite. Otherwise, I've just followed the coin flip!

From should I play Netball next year, to should we take this road or that - it's good for big and small decisions.

Oh and there's even a poem to go with it, written by Piet Hines...

Whenever you’re called on to make up your mind
And you're hampered by not having any,
The way to make up your mind
Is simply by spinning a penny

Not so that chance shall decide the affair
While you’re passively standing there moping
But the moment the penny is up in the air
You suddenly know what you’re hoping!

PS Alan Cohen is the original Chicken Soup for the Soul man...when I went hunting for the poem (because it was tricky to drive and scribble at the same time!), I found a one-pager on what he discussed on the radio...click here to read more.

PPS I know this sounds too simple, but that's why it works!

You're simplifying the decision and even by quieting your mind for a split second, you let your heart and intuition into the equation...the bit that always know what path is best at that moment.

It's so true what our mate Piet wrote above, as soon as you flip you seem to know what you want!

And as I seem to get reminded time and time again - you can always make another decision.

In each moment, you just need to go with what feels right to you, for now.

There's no rule anywhere that says that any decision you make is absolute.

Happy flipping!

1 comment:

  1. Keep the mid ticking over Jess. I love where the mind map of your mind can take you. Ali x

    ReplyDelete